1) Discuss the date and authorship and historical setting of the creation story found in genesis 1:1-2:4a. What concerns might the writers have been trying to communicate to their audience?
2) Compare and contrast the way God is presented in the first and second creation stories. Be sure to identify the author and the date for each story. (DO NOT RE-TELL THE STORY)
3) The P story of the covenant with Abraham is found in genesis 17. Why might the priestly writers have chosen to emphasize the importance of circumcision as a sign of the covenant? Why does the text mandate circumcision only on the 8th day after birth?
4) Identify the author and date of the story of the revelation of the name of God in exodus 3:13-15. Who knows the name in the story and how is the name to be used by Moses?
5) Discuss the meaning of the phrase from exodus 20:3. “You shall have no other gods before me” for an ancient israelite.
6) From the perspective of a priest in ancient Israel, what does the blood of the sin offering due in leviticus 16 and why can it do it?