Write a paper in which you prove that “A Number” by Caryl Churchill is a contemporary tragedy.
The paper will be required to do all of the followings:
1. A detailed and comprehensive analysis of the play’s plot in terms of the tragic five-part structure, it’s organizing
principles, and vocabulary.
2. An identification and analysis of the play’s tragic hero.
3. A discussion of the play’s diction and how it affects both character and meaning in the play.
4. A discussion of the play’s spectacle and why the playwright chooses to physically portray the story in this way.
Consider casting, setting, design and any relevant theatrical conventions.
5. A comprehensive analysis of the play’s themes and ideas: how you interpret the meaning of the play, as well as the
compassion and understanding you gain from its catastrophe, discussing how and why this is achieved.
6. Justifications of your statements using examples from the text and comparisons to another ancient tragedy, Agamemnon’s