Defining Art: Set 1
- How can we define “art”?
- Is there one definition that sums up the meaning of “art”
- When and where was the term, “art” first used?
- What does the term, “Fine Arts”, refer to ?
- How was the term, “Fine Arts” first used?
- What is an artist?
- What are contemporary explanations of what art and the artist are?
The Chicano Movement and the Treaty:
- What is the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo?
- What terms of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo were violated, and how does this affect Chicanos/as?
- What role does Réies López Tijerina and La Alianza play in the Chicano Movement?
- What does the occupation of Catalina Island by the Brown Berets symbolize?
- Who is Luis Valdez?
- What connection is there between the Teatro Campesino and the UFW?
- What is an acto?
- What is a Pastorela?
- What theatre groups/individuals were inspired by Luis Valdez and his teachings?
- What is TENAZ?
- What ideology did TENAZ promote?
- What differences did the members of TENAZ have with Luis Valdez and the Teatro Campesino?
- What role did TENAZ play in the protesting of the U.S. bicentennial celebration in 1976?
- What caused TENAZ to dissolve?
- What is the connection between TENAZ and the presence of Chicanas/os in mainstream commercial entertainment?
- What is Culture Clash?
- What is the focus of the group?
- What themes does Culture Clash work with?
- Where is Chicano Park?
- Why did the founders of Chicano Park decide to establish such an artistic sight?
- Who are some of the founders of Chicano Park?
- Who were Lalo Guerrero and Don Tosti, and how did they influence the Chicano rock scene?
- What is the connection between traditional Mexican music and Chicano rock?
- Who are some of the most prominent figures of Chicano rock?
- What makes Chicano rock different from other forms of American rock?
- Why is it that Chicana/o authors tend to incorporate Chicano characters, bilingualism and other elements reflective of their heritage in the story lines of their literary works?
- What would be the difference in terms of overall cultural perspective between the works of authors, “Corky” Gonzáles and José Montoya, versus the writings of Richard Rodríguez?
- Who is Jesús Salvador Treviño, and what is his contribution to Chicano filmmaking?
- Who are other Chicana/o filmmakers, and what projects have they been involved in?