Exam 3 Review Work Sheet
Marquis, D. “Why Abortion is Immoral”
1. What does Marquis mean by “future of value”?
2. Why does Marquis think that standard pro-life arguments fail?
3. What are the strengths and weaknesses of Marquis’ argument?
Thompson, J. J. “A Defense of Abortion”
1. What is Thompson’s central thesis in this argument?
2. What is the analogy of the diseased violinist intended to prove?
3. Why does Thompson think that the right to life is not unrestricted?
Steinbock, B. “Why Most Abortions Are Not Immoral”
1. What is the potentiality principle? Why does Steinbock argue it is problematic?
2. Why does Steinbock think Marquis’ argument is not successful in establishing the immorality of abortion?
3. What is the interests view? Why does Steinbock think that a fetus does not have interests?
Singer, P. “Famine, Affluence, and Morality”
1. Why does Singer think we are obligated to contribute to famine relief?
2. What is the child drowning in the pond case meant to prove?
3. Why does Singer think distance does not excuse our moral duty to prevent death by starvation?
Nocross, A. ”Puppies, Pigs, and People: Eating Meat and Marginal Cases.”
1. Why does the example of Fred present a problem?
2. Why does Norcross compare puppies and pigs? Or pigs and people?
Huemer, M. “America’s Unjust Drug War”
Why does Huemer think the Harm to Self and Harm to Others arguments for drug prohibition fail?
Why does Huemer think the drug war is not merely wrong — but deeply unjust?
Order This Paper Now