In a reflection of 450-600 words, explain how you see yourself fitting into the following IOM Future of Nursing recommendations:
1. Recommendation 4: Increase the proportion of nurses with a baccalaureate degree to 80% by 2020.
2. Recommendation 5: Double the number of nurses with a doctorate by 2020.
3. Recommendation 6: Ensure that nurses engage in lifelong learning.
Identify your options in the job market based on your educational level.
1. How will increasing your level of education affect how you compete in the current job market?
2. How will increasing your level of education affect your role in the future of nursing?
Healthcare Delivery Issues include any obstacles in the practice of health care delivery. For example, the doctor shortage is a major issue in Canada, which leads to a myriad of downstream repercussions, such as longer waiting times. According to the Canadian Medical Association, 4-5 million people still do not have a family physician.¹ In Ontario, although the Ontario Health Budget has practically doubled in the past decade, Canadian health care still falls short of needs; many individuals attribute it to a health care system plagued by too much bureaucracy.
In Montreal, a woman died after waiting four days in the ER. Although it may be the most extreme out of all the cases, it represents the importance of effective and efficient health care delivery. Even though there has been a significant improvement in wait times, cases like these still persist.
Thus, with the burden of insufficient health care in delivery, the shift has been to emphasize good health rather than health care. With this being said, in terms of supply, Canada has top doctors and top nurses, with only the delivery of this health care being second-rate. Thus, studying Healthcare Issues as well as Healthcare Management aims to ultimately promote a system which is first rate.