The first step in the research process is selecting a topic that is both interesting and manageable. For this discussion, complete the following:
- Review the Final Research Paper instructions in Week Five, and identify three potential research topics.
- Describe methods that may be helpful in identifying and narrowing your research paper topic.
- Examine two scholarly sources that may prove valuable as you seek to defend your claims.
- Address why scholarly sources should be used to support your writing on the selected topic.
Below is the final Requirementâ€¦.Please read carefully:
Final Research Paper
Research the responsibility of a critical thinker in a contemporary society. You may choose any topic that deals with a contemporary social concern. Examine the principles of critical thought in relation to the chosen societal concern, and consider the importance of ethics, moral reasoning, a research-based process to search for truth, and the advantages of information technology in gathering data.
Potential social concerns include, but are not limited to health (e.g., obesity, smoking, or underage drinking), poverty (e.g., homelessness, basic needs, or transportation issues), family relations and dynamics (e.g., teen violence, physical abuse, depression, or suicide), social media (e.g., privacy), immigration (e.g., illegal), and education (e.g., plagiarism and/or cheating).
Your Final Research Paper should:
- Include a literature review of three scholarly sources based on the selected contemporary issue. Analyze the validity of the authorâ€™s arguments and/or biases.
- Explain how academic knowledge impacts the social elements and institutions of both local and global communities.
- Assess how the principles of active citizenship could impact the contemporary issue during the next five to ten years.
- Include at least one reference to a multimedia component (i.e., podcast, interactive website, blog, or video) and evaluate the relevance of this piece in relationship to academic knowledge and the selected issue.
Discussions Question 2
The introduction of new technologies has significantly affected the social lives of many. These changes, which reflect how people use technology to interact, provide an example of trends that you might examine in your Final Research Paper. For this discussion, identify a significant change that has occurred in the way people communicate and share information, and reflect on the impact this change has had on individuals and society in general today (local and global). Keep in mind that not all social trends affect all groups in society to the same degree. In addition, examine the influence of social media on an individualâ€™s personal and professional pursuits.