There are two options for the final paper. The final paper will be written individually on a single specific virtue. The paper should be in APA format (1” margins, 12 point font, double spaced, with APA references).
Option 1: Select a virtue that was not covered in class (e.g., honesty or reverence). The paper must have the following sections:
1. Introduction giving the name of the virtue and describing the nature of the virtue.
2. Relationship to the human good, which clarifies how this virtue relates to the human good. Typically, the virtue will be related to one or a few specific human goods (e.g., belonging, knowledge). Be sure to specify how the virtue is necessary to achieve this good or goods and how the virtue contributes to the bringing the good(s) into being.
3. Structure of the virtue, which includes the dimension of the virtue and the names and descriptions of the vices of deficiency and excess.
4. Provide at least 2 examples of how the virtue is enacted. This can be mixed into the other sections or form its own section.
5. Describe the relationship between the virtue and the community. How does the virtue enhance the community and how can the community foster the virtue?
6. A reference section that includes at least 6 primary sources. A primary source is a scholarly book or journal article. References to popular books, articles, and web sites are acceptable, but they do not count toward the 6 required references