Introduction to Legal Analysis and Writing Unit 2 Assignment
Practice Online Research
The statute on the next page deals with the denial of unemployment benefits in New
Mexico. It lists the reasons for which the Division of Unemployment Services can
disqualify a person from receiving unemployment benefits. Read the statute, and then
answer the questions which follow.
1. Who enacted this statute?
2. Is this statutory mandatory or discretionary? What causal term in the
statute helped you answer this question?
3. According to this statute, what are the three ways that a person can be
denied unemployment benefits in New Mexico? Must a person do all three
things to be disqualified from receiving benefits, or is it enough that they only do
one of the listed things? What term in the statute helped you answer this
4. Are there any exceptions to this statute? If so, which of the three ways of
being denied unemployment compensation do the exceptions apply to?
5. Provide the Bluebook citation for this statute.